Alert Message: Anyone, 6 months of age and older, is eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccine. Find your nearest vaccination location at
WARNING: Site will be down from 8-12PM CT.
ILogin is now required to access your account. Create your login now to keep your IDES account secure!
Local Area Unemployment Statistics (LAUS)
The Local Area Unemployment Statistics (LAUS) program develops monthly and annual estimates of the labor force, employed, unemployed and the unemployment rate for the State, metropolitan areas, counties and municipalities that have a population of at least 25,000.
New - Expanded workforce data, charts, and analysis available for the metro area press releases:
Unemployment Rate: Seasonally Adjusted
- Characteristics of Employed and Unemployed Monthly and annual employment and unemployment statistics by characteristics such as age, gender, race, employment and labor force participation, duration of unemployment and union membership.
Research and Analysis
- Understanding Labor Force Statistics
- Declining Labor Force Participation in Illinois: Why Have More People Stopped Working or Looking for Work
- Changes to Illinois Metropolitan Statistical Area Delineations Following the 2010 Census
- Important Changes to Illinois Statewide and Substate Labor Force Estimates: Implementing the LAUS Program 2015 Redesign
Unemployment Rate Maps (PDF)
Downloadable LAUS Files
- laus_sep21.zip | laus_sep21.xls (updated 10/28/21)
- Monthly LAUS Reports
- Illinois County Monthly Unemployment Rate Ranking Report
2020 Annual Average Maps (PDF)
Annual Average Data